February 11, 2005

Missing the Concept 101

Our Heroine: Good morning, ABC Company.
Stranger With a Southern Twang: I'd like to get pre-authorization on a patient?
OH: I'm sorry you have the wrong number, this is ABC.
SWAST: Well I need to talk to XYZ about insurance coverage. Can't you do that?
OH: No ma'am, you've reached ABC not XYZ.
SWAST: Wait, can you tell me what number I've dialed?

Pause
OH: .... Pardon?
SWAST: Are you sure I didn't dial the right number?
OH: No ma'am, you've reached ABC not XYZ. If you'd like I can give you the correct number...
SWAST: Can't you just put me through to the right department?
OH: No ma'am - they aren't affiliated with us in any way. The correct number..
Click. OH looks incredulously at the phone.
Phone rings again.

OH: Good morning, ABC.
SWAST: I'd like to get pre-authorization on a patient?
OH: Sorry you have the wrong number, this is ABC, not XYZ. We just spoke?
Uncomfortable pause.
SWAST: Can you just transfer me to the right department? I've been trying all morning.
OH: No ma'am - like I said before they aren't affiliated with us in any way, so I cannot transfer you. The correct toll-free number is #-###-###-####.
SWAST: And that's not what I dialed?
Pause. OH tries to suppress desire to scream "No you idjut!!"
OH: No ma'am. You've reached ABC in Canada, not XYZ in the U.S. Please hang up and try the number I gave you.
SWAST: But I've been dialing that and I keep getting you.
OH: (Brightly) Well, why not just give it one more try?
Click. SWAST has hung up again. Sigh.


No comments: