May 16, 2005

Disguised Blessings

Being a writer is not an undertaking for the weak of spirit. There are as many traps you can fall into as there are words in the dictionary.

My failings are fairly standard - not knowing what to write, having too many options and not knowing where to start, running dry, wondering why what I want to say isn't coming out right, and of course, those days when everything you write reads like DRIVEL. (and you've gotta imbue that last word with lots of tension to get it right. Perhaps the type that comes from, say, standing there, hands tightly fisted, balled up sheets of paper lying forlornly at your feet, with an edge of desperation and mania. Think too much bad office coffee and not enough decent sleep).

I was having all of that and more, right before I ran into my internet problems.

If I'd really wanted to, I could have looked for alternative locations to post from. Truth is, I took this unscheduled break as a sign that I needed a little rest. I didn't stop writing - my moleskine is chock full of entries - but it did give me the opportunity to step back and not feel the need to put something out there before it was ready.


Sometimes a girl needs a little time to lie fallow...

Monday. What else is there to do but on from when it's raining?

2 comments:

Ally said...

I think you're right. I sometimes can't get anything quite 'right' enough to put out there. And sometimes I have so much that I just save it up for the fallow periods. It does take the stress out of feeling that you need to put something up three or four times a week, come rain or shine.

Cin said...

I agree! I'm considering giving myself a limit rather than a goal. Might change things, I think...