August 01, 2006

The Rest of The News Sucks, But At Least There's Hope For The Penguins

Does anyone else read the paper and think that the world has lost it's marbles?

I'm not one for in-depth political discussion on this blog, and I'm not about to start now, but, damn! There are a lot of people out there lying to themselves and to others about why they do the things they do.

To safeguard my own sanity, and not melt into a puddle of tears every time I hear the latest news out of Lebanon, I do my best to stay informed, but not to dwell. And every once in a while a little something comes my way that makes me think that maybe there's a possibility of hope.

Today it came by way of page A7 of this morning's Vancouver Sun, when the headline "Stranded Penguins get Lift Home" caught my attention.

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) - Brazil's air force and navy will transport more than 100 penguins to Antarctica next month after the flightless birds were stranded on Rio de Janeiro beaches.

Penguins arrive from the Antarctic Circle on ice floes that melt in the vicinity of Brazil's shore and the birds wash up on Rio beaches every winter. Typically many of the birds are sent to local zoos.

A plane carrying equipment for an Antarctic naval base will take the penguins to Brazil's southernmost region next month, an air force spokesman said Monday. They will continue their journey on a naval ship, which will release them into the ocean in their Antarctic habitat.
It may seem silly to us, but it probably makes a huge difference to the penguins.

Now if only we could be as good to people...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The world events of late have sure made me sad.

I'm glad something positive for some kind of creature is happening on a large scale, in this crazy world of ours.

Hope your week is going fantabulously well! We'll get sorted soon, and catch up, k?

Anonymous said...

After the movie about the penguins came out somebody stole a real one from the zoo!

I love the quote about paths! I made one all the way from micheles.

Nikki said...

AWWWW! Oh, that's so sweet. I don't think that's silly at all. But yes, if only we could do something like that about people now...

Anonymous said...

There has been a fairly large penguin rescue going on recently in Argentina as well. Somehow a bunch of them got in an oil slick somewhere and had to be washed and dried, repeat as necessary for about 50 times.

Anyway they just got released as well(much less dramatic, pick up trucks to the coast and the penguins out).

Thanks for stopping by via michele.