November 09, 2006

Time Tells

Years ago, after hearing about it from a particularly enthused person, I picked up a copy of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I read it, I liked parts of it, and thought why not try what she suggests?

For a while I was very faithful to her idea of doing morning pages, and just as faithful to the idea of an artist's date. Then one day, I missed doing the MP's, and then I got rather spotty at doing them, and then something came up, and then... and then I stopped doing them altogether. I kept meaning to go back to it but the habit hadn't really set yet, and it was easy to say I'll start again tomorrow. Well, that was over a year ago. I was a bit better about the AD's, but eventually those flagged too and got put on the list of things to do when I'm done everything else.

You know that list - we all have one.

So why write about another failed experiment?

Well it turns out that it wasn't as much of a failure as I thought. No, I'm not doing morning pages regularly, but I am writing. And while I don't do regular artist dates, I've noticed that I give myself more opportunities for them to happen; for instance, my sweetie and I got a membership to the Vancouver art gallery, and I've been there more often in the past few months than during my whole time in Vancouver.

Some would call it indulgent, but I think Ms. Cameron's onto something. Who knows? Maybe I will get around to doing those morning pages again...

1 comment:

wenchlette said...

I absolutely LOVED the artist's way!