June 08, 2005

A Walk Down Amnesia Lane

I've been tagged for my very first meme! Christine of BTW tagged me over the weekend, and I just had to do it, seeing as how I enjoy both her blogs tremendously (her other blog is Morning Coffee and Afternoon Tea.)

It took me a few
days to get it all sorted, but I'm glad I made the effort, as recalling this was like looking at old Christmas decorations I'd loved and thought lost. Anyways, here are the rules:

Remove the #1 item from the following list, bump everyone up one place and add your blog's name in the #5 spot. You need to actually link to each of the blogs for the link-whorage aspect of this fiendish meme-age to kick in.

1. Villainous Company
2.
Riehlworldview
3.
Third World County
4.
BTW
5.
It's Raining Again

Next, select four unsuspecting victims, list and link to them.

1. Julia Said
2.
Ducking for Apples
3.
Anomalous Noodge
4.
Treading Lightly on Powdered Sugar

Now - the subject of "this Detestable Meme" is Five Things I Miss From My Childhood:

1. Saturdays with Gran - my parents went to work and/or had school on Saturdays when they first came to Canada, so a fond memory was the early morning 1-block walk to my gran's ground floor apartment. There I'd watch Saturday morning cartoons, bake meringues, go for walks along English Bay and hang out on her patio, people-watching. She never got mad if the baking didn't turn out, never thought I wasted too much paper on my art projects, and always loved me to bits. I can't think of a single time when she didn't make me feel like I counted. Come to think of it, #1 is All the time I got to spend with Gran. She was one of the foundations of my world growing up, and thankfully isn't done teaching me new things.

2. Sneaking my cat out of our apartment building and taking her for a walk along Sunset Beach - Our building did not allow pets, but our manager was cool with it so long as he never saw it when he came into the apartment. Our kitty would happily jump into a carry all and we'd smuggle her into the elevator and out the front door. Once we got to the beach, she'd walk on her leash until she got tired, then curl up in the hood of my coat and get carried by me until it was time to go home. There's something to be said for the comforting feeling of warm kitty breath on the back of your neck, and the occasional paws stealing onto your shoulder for a reassuring hug.

3. Playing truant - Every once in a while mom and I would take a day off in the middle of the week and hang out. This didn't happen very often, but when it did, the day was carefully chosen to make sure we didn't miss anything important, and we thoroughly enjoyed taking time out for a few pleasures. I think nowadays people call this "feeding the soul". I first saw Fantasia and the Aristocats at an afternoon matinee on a day I was 'sick' at home, and to this day a viewing or a refrain from either movie will instantly take me back to the memory of sitting in the dark in an almost empty theatre...

4. The old Vancouver Public Library - Before it moved to it's current home on May 26, 1995, the VPL was located at 750 Burrard Street. The building still stands, but has been radically altered and now houses a huge Virgin Records store, a TV station and (I think) various clothing stores. The current VPL is one of my favourite destinations, but I cherish memories of going through the old turnstiles, running my fingers along the metal banisters, and warming my behind on one of the radiators by the windows. I still recall the day the librarians in the art section decided I could go in and browse without an adult supervising me. I felt like such a grown up!

5. Henry Hudson School - This school was originally built in 1912, expanded in 1914 and then again in 1950. It had character, with a curved banister and sweeping stairs that had been worn smooth and shiny from young feet. I particularly loved the odd little nooks and crannies, the old fashioned cloak rooms, the deep windows and the wood embellishments along the ceilings, walls and anywhere else the builder decided to add them. My 5th grade art teacher Mrs. Pendakur had the best room of all, and I credit her for first tapping into my love of all things art.

Technorati Tags? But of course! , , .

10 comments:

Tricorum Satisdee said...

Oh my god that's a tough meme! Give me a few days, and I'll have ya done...I swear.

Julia said...

i got it.... grandparents seem to be becoming a theme

David said...

" grandparents seem to be becoming a theme" Hey! It's a kids' walk down meme-ory lane! Many of the "glads" recalled by others in the stroll do seem to recall grandparents. :-)

I've really enjoyed these meme0ories, this one so less than others. Each blogger seems to have their own great meme-ories. Thanks, Cin!

guppyman said...

That seems like too much work... but it was fun reading yours....

Sorry you got skipped at Michele's, so I figured I'd come make up for it and blogroll ya while I'm at it....

So.... Michele says hello.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Memes are such fun! Hello, Michele Sent Me :)

Angie said...

What a fun meme! I might have to try that one on my blog.

Hi, Michele sent me. :)

Lesley Todd said...

I love the way you write. This post has made me feel all nostalgic... lovely!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michele sent me! Great answers!

Anonymous said...

Great list Cin! I came by to see if you wanted to be tagged for another meme. (Don't throw anything at me! :)) Your mom let you play truant?!? How cool. That sounds like very special times.

Ally said...

I've done it! :). We both have 'Saturdays with Gran' on our list ...