February 04, 2006

The Wind May Bluster and The Rain may Pour...

Tags: , , , .

It's rainy and miserable and windy in Vancouver, but does that stop us intrepid Vancouverites?

Well no. It just slowed us down a little. And made us consider clothing options a little more carefully.

The original plan was to run some errands and go to the local 2nd hand bookstore. First stop: Urban Yarns. I'd never been there before, but after reading about it on some local blogs I had to go see it for myself.

The place was a zoo. I could see how on less crowded days it's probably one of the coziest, friendliest stores around. I'm definitely going to go back. But it just so happens they're having a a sale, so there was some wild and crazy shenanigans going on. I was very impressed with the DS - all that estrogen and enclosed space, and he didn't even flinch as he walked through the door.

He did have a task though, so perhaps that made it easier - he's very interested in having me knit him another Irish Hiking Scarf, this time in a lighter weight black wool. So practigal that I am, I asked him to check out the yarns on offer and find one that he'd like. He did. The man has good taste - he fell for the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino.

I didn't buy any wool (this time) but I oohed and aahed over the Lantern Moon handmade knitting needles. They were a touch too expensive for me at $30 - $40.00 a pair, but I can dream. They're made of Rosewood and/or Ebony, so I can understand the cost - these are needles that, if cared for properly, will end up having to be willed to someone specific or else all the knitters in the family will fight over them...

I did purchase a collection of Lang Yarns men's sweater patterns, and bought my very first pair of handcrafted Birch knitting needles from River John Needle Company. I can't wait to work with these. They're just so... pretty. My only concern is that nowhere on the needle is the size marked. Looks like it's time to invest in a needle gauge.

We did get all the other errands done, and I came home with a generous collection of books... but more on that in some other post. Honestly, how much of Cin's boring life can anyone take in one sitting?

1 comment:

Bill C said...

"Hello, Michele sent me." Very nice look & feel here. Glad I had an excuse to stop in. I'll be back to take a look around a little later; for now it's Work Time.

Hope you have a great day, maybe a little less rainy miserable windy? Although what I've heard about Vancouver makes me think the RMW might be a fairly common weather pattern. Or is Vancouver like Seattle, where the constant rain is a myth perpetuated by residents trying to maintain their well-kept secret? So says my Seattle-resident brother, anyway.